Valentine’s day is just around the corner. We don’t usually go out, but try and stay in to avoid the insane crowds. This year I’m going to surprise my hubby and serve a Valentine’s Day Caprese Salad for an appetizer. This yummy appetizer is so easy to make and I even included an secret ingredient!
Here’s what you’ll need to grab at the grocery store:
- Package of mozzarella cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Vine ripened tomatoes
- Pistachios (yep that’s my secret ingredient!)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
I had a small heart shaped cookie cutter laying around so I decided to play around with it and see if it would work for the mozzarella. I’m so happy that it worked even though it was touch and go there for awhile.
- Slice the mozzarella, cut into heart shapes and slice the tomatoes.
- Layer them on a platter with the basil in any order you’d like.
- Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the deliciousness.
- Chop a handful of pistachios and sprinkle on top.
I love the little bit of crunchiness that the pistachios add and just an extra depth of flavor. Caprese salad is one of my favorite items to order when I’m at an Italian restaurant. I’m thinking for our Valentine’s dinner I’m going to make fettuccine alfredo for the main course and then tiramisu for dessert!